Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Brewery Upgrades- July 2012

All, attached are pics of my most recent equipment projects.
  
I added a sight glass and a whirlpool to my brew kettle. 
  
View inside the kettle. Up top is the thermometer probe, on the right is the whirlpool arm, and in the bottom is a screen for the drain valve. Notice how the whirlpool arm directs the flow tightly against the kettle wall. This increases the efficiency of my copper coil chiller by two fold, and helps to concentrate the trub (sediment/ hops) in the center of the kettle.

Theses are the cam- lock fitting I found to connect all of my hoses to my kettle/ coolers/ pumps.

One of the two March fluid pumps

I mounted them so that the magnetic head is outside of the tool box

First mounted pump head.  Had to get longer SS machine screws do to the added thickness of the toolbox side

Pump mounted through toolbox side

   
I also added a ball valve to control flow on the "out" port of each pump.  I use one to run from my ice water through the 40' copper coil chiller, and the other to circulate the whirlpool. This setup cools 5 gallons of boiling wort to 65F in <12 minutes.


View inside the completed pump box project.  I wired the motors to the junction box and to the orange extension cord to power the unit. Next, I added switches to control them independently. The gray junction box mounted in the front also has 2 GFI outlets to run other equipment if needed.  My only concern is that the box has a water- tight gasket (orange in the picture above) around the lid, and that may cause overheating issues with the pump motors.  I'll run a test for 30 minutes and check to see if they get too hot.

Finally, I added SS ball valves and cam-locks to my mash/ sparge coolers.

Cheers!

Mason 



No comments:

Post a Comment