Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2011 Competitions

Chai Spiced Ale (nickname TBD, I'd like ideas) is happily fermenting away, as I have continued my break- neck brewing pace to have everything ready in time for this year's Home Brew and Pro/ Am competitions. OG was 1.064 @60f, and I expect the Whitbread yeast to finish somewhere between 1.010 and 1.013.  That will yield a good, solid 6.8- 7.2% ABV.

Brazos River Barelywine is aging gracefully, and should be a real contender for 2011 competitions.
I put the Berliner Weisse into a secondary fermenter this morning, and it's about 2.8% ABV (by FAR my smallest beer to date, but perfect for the style). I'll let it hang until yeast activity is done and then bottle it in the next day or so.  From there, the Lacto bugs can work their magic. I'm calling it "West Bay Sour Wheat" as a homage to the part of Galveston Island where we spend time in during the hottest months of the year.  The style is light, effervescent and tart, perfect for fishing or floating in the bay.  I hope its developed enough sour character by March 5th and Bluebonnet Brew Off judging. If you're in DFW on the last weekend in March, check out the festivities!

 
March 25-26, 2011
Westin DFW Airport
4545 W. John Carpenter Freeway
Irving, TX 75063
Telephone: 888-627-8617

Other Texas competitions you'll find me at this year include:


SOUTHERN STAR BREWING'S 2011 Pro/ Am- Late April, 2011
Southern Star Brewing Co.
1207 N. FM 3083 E.
Conroe, Texas 77303


Big Batch Brew Bash
BIG BATCH BREW BASH- May 15, 2011
Saint Arnold Brewery
2000 Lyons Ave. Houston, TX

Dixie Cup
DIXIE CUP- October 13-15, 2011
Location TBD

See ya there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment