Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chai Spice Ale- Soon for the tap

For those of you who are new to my malted misadventures, my favorite way to push the bounds of gastro- brewing is to deconstruct my favorite flavors of food and drink and reinterpret them in beer form. My latest experiment in,Chai Spice Ale, will be ready for consumption in a few day and I can't wait to see how it turned out. 

I used the spices you see in the picture, as well as Ginger and Orange Peel.  I added a little Lactose (milk sugar) as an homage to the traditional way the beverage is served, and finished with honey after the boil.
Stats are as follows:

OG 1.064; FG 1.014
ABV= 6.7%

Definite cinnamon on the nose, not too much of the cardamom is perceptible but that could be due to the temperature.  Honey flavor is light as well, might need to add some now that fermentation is complete.
However it turns out, it was a neat experiment!

Cheers

1 comment: