Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Introducing: Belgian Aromatic Ale

Hello dedicated beer knurds!

As I mentioned in the previous post, I was so inspired by that spice ale I tried in DC that I decided to take a crack at the concept.  I started with a base recipe for lighter Belgian Strong Ale, and then toned back some of the Candi sugar to lower the OG a hair.  Next, I used only 1 oz. of Glacier hops at 5.6% Apha at the beginning of the boil as the only hops addition, and added 3/4 oz. each toasted Rose Hips and Corriander seeds, as well as a 1/4 oz. or Paradise seeds for a fragrant, herbal nose in the beer.  I utilized the Wyeast 1762 Abbey II for a delicate, fruity ester profile and that classic Belgian finish.

Should be very cool, but time will tell on that.  I'm hoping for a bright, effervescent brew that makes you sniff twice before the first sip.

Stay tuned, I'm finalizing the Chai Spice Ale this week.

You heard me right... chai spice

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Final ABV was 7.5%, and it is delicious!! So much for delicate esters, though. The aroma is bubblegum, banana and clove. Beautiful golden hue and nice, fluffy head. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete